Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What is a Bridal Bustle?

The wedding gown you fell head over heels for has arrived. You’re standing before a mirror with Love Couture Bridal’s amazing seamstress when she asks:

“What kind of bustle would you like? American or French?”

What does she mean?

Created during alterations using snaps, hook and eye closures or ribbons, a bustle allows your gown’s train to be down when you want it and tucked away when you don’t!

There are two basic kinds of bustles, the American and French.

When a train is picked up and attached on the outside of gown, it’s called an American bustle. Depending on the length of the train and fullness of the gown’s skirt, there can be one or more fastening points.

American Bustle, maryland bridal shop, wedding dresses

American bustle with one fastening point

Generally using three or more closures, a French bustle lifts the train by securing it underneath the gown’s top layer.

french bustle, washington DC bridal shop, bridal gowns

French bustle with several closures

Have more questions about bridal alterations or still searching for your wedding dress? Call us at (301) 610-5683.

Love, Sandy

1 comment: